Merlin’s Land

The day was cold and unpredictable, the sky turned a hundred times from blue to gray and back, while beneath it the ancient land worked her spell deliberately, pulling me in slowly, bringing out her treasures one at a time :
The pale celadon lichens on flat rocks; the ochre and ashy ones mottling roof tiles; the slim coat of apple green sheen on cedar branches; the tender green moss, soft as yielding stubble, on old stone walls; the rustling of dry ivy in the breeze; the rhythmic plops of snow melt leading bird tweets; sweet scent of burning apple wood…

I followed an atavistic call and stepped under the cedar by the gate when snow was falling in barely-there flakes
… And Merlin’s world opened as I looked up the tree: snow outlined each branch and twig in a thin pencil line. Nothing was gray, black or brown, but a vibrant green, soft, smoother than a child’s skin, fragile as a moth’s wings… all sugar-coated Life. Caught in a time warp, achingly beautiful, it shimmered in the light of my druidic cathedral.

In that hushed space, ancient spirits smiled as I tugged lightly at a branch and let tiny flakes shower my face with kisses.

This entry was posted in Life, Pandora's box and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Merlin’s Land

1. This piece creates a very visual and calming affect.

2. arjaybe says:

Visual poetry. I love it when words make pictures. Your site is going on my trapline.-)

rjb

Do I sense a light at the end of the abyss? You write well.

4. ladysighs says:

You have a way of pulling us into your own spell. We are all entranced. And we are glad you are out of the snow. 🙂

Thank you Lady S. I am just sharing the magic out there. i am not out of the snow yet, but (heehee) I found a signal to ride. Road conditions are just unsafe out of here for now. eventually I will get back to Medville. Smile.

5. pennycoho says:

Thank you, this is beautiful, drew me right in. I felt like I was there in a place I long to be! Most wonderful!

6. Ah oui, cherie, tu es vraiment incroyable.
    Tu vois, tu pense, tu ecris, c’est tout pareil.
    Toujours exceptionnel.
    Merci

7. alarmingman says:

Ah Merlin’s world – you have seen something that most people have forgotten still exists…

8. pjb1943 says:

Em, you are a consumate artist with words ! I could close my eyes and see the images you described so clearly in all the colors you gave them. Just magical !

9. Bloody hell, you can write.