Good Night Moon

beautifull-night-sky1
In the coming darkness I stood listening to the sounds of an ending.
Clouds marched in campaign formation carried by a westerly.
Above it all, a three quarter moon looked on appearing and hiding, slightly perturbed.
Barks and croaks mingled in the distance.
A wet and soft smell of earth floated on smoke.
Threadbare echoes of a passing conversation drifted
through the oleanders and drowned in a rain puddle.

I watched the lacy edges of back lit clouds reach for each other,
miss and move east into the night.
The moon made a well in the clouds, looked down and smiled.
A little girl smiled back and waved a messy hand.
Then the moon closed the curtains and drew shapes from shadows in the sky.
There is a dragon she pointed but I said the tail was too short, probably a lizard.
Silly cartoon dogs with huge eyes grinned at a firefly.
An elf with a big nose changed into an elephant blowing snot bubbles
and made her giggle, eyes sparkling in the shadows.
Lost in the light show
we started counting the stars that ran away behind the clouds.

When she grew quiet we said Good Night Moon and went inside.

Photo from diaryofagladman.wordpress.com

This entry was posted in Inner child, Life, Pandora's box and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Good Night Moon

1. holly says:

Oh emmy! How delightfully lovely!
    :: sigh::

2. Argus says:

I live in NZ’s sunny (?) Southland. We have very interesting skies sometimes but for whatever reason I can never capture them with a camera—I called Spouse out once and asked her “What do you see?” and she straight away replied “Oodles of botts!” and she was absolutely right. I’ll see if I can find the one snap I kept of the dozens of failures, and post it …

3. Argus says:

On the day I met The Spouse we went to a remote beach, and part of discovering each other was seeing things in the clouds—we both spotted the poodle at the same time (snap!) and things progressed from there.
    Anyone who sees elephants blowing snot bubbles, hears smoke and sees barks has to be my kind of person. Welcome to the club …

4. Lost for words. I admire.

Superb poetry, breathtaking photo! I hear they say the darkest hour lasts only 60 minutes, we will have again sunny days soon and star filled nights.

6. arjaybe says:

Elephants blowing snot bubbles would make me giggle too.

rjb

This all sounds so familiar, Em. There was this little boy who used stare at the sky and all the images that appeared there, (sometimes he still does). This is a brilliant piece of writing, Em. It deserves to be published. Happy Tuesday, Sunshine !

Thanks Paul. Yes, it’s nothing exceptional in a day, is it? And yet, the child makes it an adventure as my friend AnElephant says.
      So my name is Sunshine? Thank you;-)
      Happy Tuesday to you too.

8. UnElephant ne souffle pas les ‘snot bubbles’!
    D’accord, peut-etre pour la petite.
    Bien ecrit, comme toujours.

Gorgeous. Awesome piece of writing, Emmy.