A Broken Shoelace

Under the able leader of the pack, Rochelle, an imaginative group of hikers strap on their writing gear for a new Friday Fictioneers adventure. The idea is to write a story of 100 words more or less prompted by the photo below. That’s it.
Emmy tightens her lines to 100 words.
adamickes-childsboots

The Broken Shoelace

He came into her store looking a bit confused.
Could she replace the broken shoelace of his hiking boot?

She found what he needed.

She noticed the sweetness in his smile and the kindness in his eyes.
He was funny and attentive.
She had not laughed or felt that good since before her divorce years ago.
She cooked dinner.
For three nights and two days of sunshine and daisies she felt like a woman again.

He left a note: “Mercy Darling. I’ll never forget you.”
But he did. Like the broken shoe lace she keeps in her pocket.

This entry was posted in Friday Fictioneers, Life and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to A Broken Shoelace

1. Very sad. Rather poetic. Lovely read.

2. Sometimes it’s all they are good for, a time or two.

3. lizy says:

Oh dear – but he obviously wasn’t a ‘keeper’! I’m enjoying this, my first week on FF.

4. Hard as they might be for some (does she save the broken lace because of regret?), these brief interludes can add sparkle to life. Love the way you executed this. The laces, the sunshine and daisies… the pace: it’s a wonderful story! I did 2 this week. For some reason, these boots are intriguing! Nice job!

5. Sunshine and daisies.. such a great descriptions.. to bad it all withered.

Thank you for taking the time to read the tale and commenting. May be it lived its intended time, like ephemeroptora who live their life cycle in one of our days, or close to it. 🙂

What’s all this chatter about bittersweet, sadness and heartache ??? Two people had a sweet romantic interlude and parted. Who is to say that he won’t return? Really nice, Emm. Next time I guess you’ll have to give everyone a happy ending ! I liked it a lot.

7. atrm61 says:

A passing fancy-for him and a lifetime of heart ache for her-ah love,why are you so cruel!A wonderfully warm story about a romance that never was-sigh!Loved it though it broke my heart..

8. elmowrites says:

sunshine and daisies – what a poetic description of happiness. I liked the romance and sadness in this tale.

A lovely story that left an ache in my heart. Good use of the prompt, love the broken shoelace.

10. Really a nice well-told romantic story. I wasn’t expecting that over a shoe lace. However, let me say for the record, I think he’s a bastard! Just my opinion; she seems very nice and deserving.

Thanks Perry. The greta thing about flashfiction is that there is just enough info to sketch something ad let the reader see/imagine the rest… May be she was really scary up close and personal…:-)

11. Nicely done, Emmy. Did you mean her name was Mercy or was he saying thanks in French (merci?) I really liked this line: “For three nights and two days of sunshine and daisies she felt like a woman again” and of course, the ending. 🙂 I also like the symbolism of the broken shoelace.

janet

Thank you Janet. Just for the fun of it I left it ambiguous so the reader can stretch the tale and add dimensions to the caracters if he/she wants to. it could have been her name, a hidden plea, a thank you or something else. You get to pick .:-) Thank you for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it.

12. bittersweet tale. a great read 🙂

Was she better off for the three nights and two days of sunshine and daisies, or worse? I’m sure there could be a different answer on any given day.

Beautiful, Emm.

14. Tu apprends rapidement!
    Tres impressionnant.

15. Anja says:

Awww I was hoping he would stay, or at least return. Such is love…..it can creep up and disappear just the same. Beautiful story.

16. graypoet says: