Approaching Gallup

Our imaginative and savvy tour guide Rochelle invited a busload of talented blogger roadies to write in a 100 words or less what they saw on Route 66. And just for kicks, I’m going along for the ride.
begin-the-route

Approaching Gallup now…

Over the years she told him she would leave; yet she stayed.

But not today.
Books, paint brushes, fabrics she hangs on to for some reason, and pictures of the kids, all grown up now. Traces of a life, perhaps the seeds of a new beginning, packed in an old Buick…

It’s 11 p.m. A Dunkin’ Donuts sign zips by. Her mouth waters. She wants a donut and a big Joe, but it’s late.
Then she realizes that she no longer needs permission.
She laughs till she cries as euphoria fills the car.

Freedom is a midnight donut.

This entry was posted in Friday Fictioneers, Life, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

53 Responses to Approaching Gallup

1. Mélanie says:

@”Freedom is a midnight donut.” – excellent definition… even though I’m not a donut fan! 🙂

2. afairymind says:

Wonderful story. I hope she enjoys her freedom. 🙂

3. Sometimes it takes too long to realize that we are free. Very uplifting and positive, nice work.

4. Very nicely done piece and I totally understand. To take such action at this time of life takes a lot of courage. Good luck to her!

5. She has certainly earned that midnight donut. I’m glad she can enjoy her freedom 🙂

6. themodernidiot says:

That’s killer.

And if you’re in Gallup, yell loud; I’m right over here in Phoenix. Lunch is on me! 🙂

Wonderful to see you here! If I ever go to Gallup again, or better yet to Phoenix (love the downtown library!) I’ll be sure to yell…sure thing if you’re buying lunch! 😉

• themodernidiot says:

That library is a beautiful piece of building. For real, If you make it anywhere to the four corners, get in touch. Me and the dog love road trips.

7. A big story in so few words. Bravo.

8. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Emmy,

Your story hit a nerve with me. I love it and the taste of freedom that is in the air after reading it. Well done.

Aloha,

Doug

9. Margaret says:

I like how the realisation of her freedom is delayed until that donut moment, and then the explosion of euphoria. Lovely.

10. I love that line, it says so much and I totally agree. The first time I flew by myself I bought half a dozen doughnuts at the Vancouver airport. I regretted it a little, but that’s what freedom is all about, right? 🙂

11. A big deep breath of nighttime air – how liberating. I think I’d have had to ditch the “stuff” too. Clean slate and all that. But free is free is free. Whee!

Freedom is a midnight donut.

For me it was pancakes, ice cream and chocolate topping for dinner 🙂

I sit here exhilarated with her. Oh that moment of realization. You’ve captured it with a midnight doughnut. Make my coffee black, please.

14. Great! I can feel her exhilaration of her liberation. Oh! The magic of a donut!

the poet at her best. well done

16. arjaybe says:

Yes! That is the whole story, and it has a happy ending.-)

17. rheath40 says:

Sounds a bit like the new life I made for myself 16 months ago.

18. Freedom is often found in the small things, I think, and your last line nailed that. I can feel her sense of release and freedom!

janet

19. penshift says:

Oh, hell, we have all been there after ditching a long term relationship. ‘Freedom is a midnight donut’ is truly worthy line. Of course, I now want donuts.

20. ‘Freedom is a midnight donut’ – that’s so lovely. A great way to sum it up.
    Claire

21. The little freedoms are sometimes the best. Quite well done.

22. Sandra says:

Freedom is a late night donut. And a few other things too which she’s about to discover. Nice one.

23. The poet as a Fictioneer continues to amaze.
    Unlimited talent, it appears, cherie.

24. Oh I love that final line.. and Gallup.. a place most are passing through. I think you have put that freedom into perspective… a midnight doughnut ..