Champagne on the House

It is Friday Fictioneer time…
Following Rochelle’s kind invitation, emmy tries to rise to the occasion, not miss a step, tread lightly, and follow the flow.
The idea is to write a very short story, circa 100 words, based on this picture prompt (below).
That’s it.

lauren-moscato

copyright Lauren Moscato

Champagne on the House

We leave our dead end flat, park the pickup in the far lot and walk to the restaurant.
The waitress greets us very warmly.
“Do you know her?” He asks, curious.
“No, but she believes she does.”
She comes back with two flutes of champagne, grins, says “Compliments of the boss”, then walks away.
“Who the hell are you?” He says, poking fun.
“I have no idea… Maybe in a parallel universe I am someone famous… or important” I shrug but I wonder, smiling all around.
“Or they see your future” he chuckles, raising his glass to mine.

I like this place, The Rabbit Hole Café.

This entry was posted in Friday Fictioneers, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Champagne on the House

1. dmmacilroy says:

Dear Emmy,

A perfect riff on the otherworldly nature of the building in the prompt. I’d dine out at your cafe any day.

Aloha,

Doug

2. mjlstories says:

I’d like to visit but first I’m trying that Restaurant and the end of the universe, then I’ll be right over – put that champagne on ice.

3. Fun, fanciful tale. Gee, they threw my out of that same restaurant! Wonder what they saw ….

4. Margaret says:

I’m sure they’ll be returning to that restaurant. Who knows what they might find out? Wonderful storytelling.

5. Francesca Smith says:

I sense Alice in Wonderland here.
    A wonderful and creative tale!

Do the flutes of champagne come with tags that say, “Drink me?” Strange little tale. Nicely done.

7. Is this next to “Alice’s Restaurant”?
    An interesting, bizarre, and different flash fiction rendition.
    Randy

8. gahlearner says:

Heh, that’s a cafe I’d like to visit, too, sometime. A great tale withmuch room for more spinning.

9. Perhaps a leap of faith is in order.

Hello Emmy or Emmyglant, or whatever,
    This is by far the worst writing I’ve ever seen! !!
    School children have done a better job!!! You
    shame this page with such drivel? ……….
    papabear’s evil twin
    HAPPY APRIL FOOL’S DAY !!! 🙂

11. Where is that Rabbit Hole, I want to see my future. Loved it!

12. Randstein says:

I enjoyed this story that ends with a much larger story to ponder. So many questions come to mind about Emmy, the Rabbit Hole Cafe, and her partner who has known her long enough to know her potential but not long enough to know her life’s story. There is an epic that might rival Anna Karenina, Lamia, or Endymion; but, with an ending that leaves a smile instead of a tear.

I am glad you enjoyed that itty bitty story.
      It’s a tribute to your imagination that you can extrapolate a new Anna Karenina (with a smile,) from this 100 wrds made up story! I can see Willy’s influence, right there.
      ..That said, The Rabbit Hole Cafe may be a fun place to revisit….
      Now you got me thinking…

I, too, have dreams sometimes that in a parallel universe am someone famous known at least beyond my flat 😛

First glance at that house and I see the work of an architect thoroughly determined to make it Jehovah’s Witness/Mormon proof 🙂

15. micklively says:

Clever: I didn’t see that coming!

16. monocochlearmutineer says:

A wonderland indeed… 😉

17. AnElephantCant believe that Emmy
    Who he knows is a super talented girl
    Who can draw and make rhyme
    Speak Scots some of the time
    Isn’t already famous all over the world

Liked by 5 people