Garage Sale- Friday Fictioneers

As always, many thanks to our gracious and multi-talented Rochelle who faithfully sets up the stage for Friday Fictioneers to exercise their quills and keyboards and shows us how a story can be told in 100 words.
Thank you Kent for the intriguing photo that made me think of other symbols.

kent-b

PHOTO PROMPT © Kent Bonham

Garage Sale

Maria is moving.
Tired and lost, she watches her life piled up on tables and chairs, spread out, hung on doors…
Her eyes run along remnants of china, linens, books… then stare at strangers coming and going.

Why are these people here?
For the garage sale, Mama, remember?
Yes. She nods.
Is Julio coming?
No Mama. Papa left when I was four, remember?
Yes. Her eyes close.

A woman fingers her wedding tablecloth of white cotton with blue thread embroidery… and grey wine stains.
Maria never could wash them out of her life either.

For two dollars a stranger buys her shame.

This entry was posted in Friday Fictioneers, Life and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Garage Sale- Friday Fictioneers

Life’s kinda like that these days, isn’t it? 🙂

2. Good story. I read it and thought “nursing home”. It sounds like Alzheimer’s. My mother suffered from it. She also forgot my dad had died. about fifteen years before. So sad. Well done, Emmy. —- Suzanne

3. Mike says:

Time for her to move on and start again, this time without the wine stains. Great writing.

4. This is sad and beautiful all at once.

5. Katalina4 says:

Ooof – exquisite, precise, heartbreaking.
    Amazing what you (you, Em, specifically) can do with 100 words… 🙂

Aww, thanks Kat. I think I had more on the ‘cutting room floor’ that I had left on the page! It’s a good exercise.
      I suspect we have all come across old women like Maria who lived their lives scripted by others. Carpe diem my friend!

6. I really love this story.. So much you manage to tell without really writing it.. Truly a wonderful tale

7. jwdwrites says:

Beautiful poignant story, I really liked it:-)

8. mjlstories says:

Succinct and sad. Well done.

9. Sandra says:

I could feel the pain, shame and desolation. Well done.

10. Dale says:

This was brilliant, Emmy… wow. Like everyone said, so much told in so few words and so much more to be said… Loved it!

11. ceayr says:

Wonderful, Em, just wonderful.
    You take us into a life, into a world, full of pain, regrets and guilt.
    In 100 words.
    Wonderful, Em, just wonderful.
    So good I said it twice.

Liked by 2 people

And with a hurt hand! Awww you are so encouraging! As you know I can be long winded, so this was a challenge. Thank you. Merci, merci.
      There, said it twice and raised you one. ( It’s my blog, I can do the funnies :-D)

12. helenmidgley says:

Really well crafted 🙂

13. A generational story in 100 little words. Great work.

14. IfeomaO says:

Heartbreaking indeed, but there’s so much more I wish I could know…why her shame and not ‘their’ shame? was the failed marriage her fault alone? Well done, emotionally exceptional..tugging my non-existent heartstrings.

That’s the thing about shame it’s not necessarily shared or deserved. I started the tale with 193 words. It explained more, but still not everything. 🙂
      I had to be ruthless. I am pleased as punch to have tugged at your nonexistent heartstrings! and you get to write the sequel 😀
      Thank you.

15. maria says:

Oh my… that last line! Really. Two dollars for a failed marriage. *sigh*

You have a compassionate heart, but something that doesn’t work is hardly worth more don’t you think? What broken things are we keeping that are reminders of stuff we should let go of and move on? Without shame. Thank you, I appreciate your comment.

As Rochelle said, that last line!!

17. draliman says:

Such a sad story. Others have mentioned your last line – I wonder what the story is behind that?

I could probably write a 1001 words to lay it all out as I imagine it, but I’ll let you build your own version. What do you think happen to Maria? But that said, I am thrilled that you want to know more because it tells me the story works for you . So a big Thank You.

18. gahlearner says:

Heartbreaking. So many great lines, and such a powerful ending. Poor Maria.

19. wmqcolby says:

Amazing what we see as mere objects and yet, the emotions and memories attached to them can be so strong. No wonder I have packrat tendencies! 😀 Wonderful story, Emmy! Lots of stuff in there for an engaging tale.

20. Oh this is heartbreaking and beautifully written.

21. oldentimes says:

That last line, wow! Well told.

That last line not only delivers a punch but adds another chapter to this well told tale. Good job.

Liked by 2 people

23. neilmacdon says:

A really powerful character study, and a final line with punch! Great!