Shadows

This week, Friday Fictioneers, hosted by Rochelle proposes a shiny prompt for a 100 words story. When I saw Roger Bultot‘s photo I thought of the striations on a boule de pétanque, clear as day. Every little town  in Provence, including Medville, has a court where everybody meets, gossips, and plays…

Thanks C.E Ayr for the inspiration. There’s no one like you!

from-roger

Shadows

A wail of sirens tears the morning light as he’s crossing the boules court.
Another tragedy he thinks as an aroma of fresh bread tickles his nose.
Shadows of leaves splash façades and windows.
Delivery doors roll up and slam shut.
Sea haze covers the sky in moody strands.
Munching on his baguette, he takes in familiar faces, greeting all with a word, a nod or a smile.
He loves this place. Paradise he answers when asked.
The only problem is I live here, she said long ago.
He didn’t believe it then.
She’s not a problem now.
Pool accidents are common here.

This entry was posted in Friday Fictioneers, Life and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Shadows

Well, Emm, accidents will happen, won’t they? I didn’t even see the guillotine till I saw my head rolling down the street past the bagel shop! Beautifully done. ……………. Hugs. 🙂

2. Oh I do love the hint of a murder… after all pools are common… and it could be slippery when wet.

3. liz young says:

This is chilling, though I’m not sure why, which means I shall have to read it again! Well done 🙂

I can see Mr. Ayr’s influence loud and clear there. There’s definitely no one else like him. A wonderfully written piece.

5. Michael Wynn says:

Nicely turned tale and reminded me of so many places in France.

I’m pleased that you enjoyed it Michael.
      Yes, Medville is like any other small town in France mostly built after WWII. It’s the people who make the place. And of course the light, the mountains, and the Med that make it magic (not necessarily in that order).

6. wmqcolby says:

ZING! Now we know, don’t we? Nice one, Emmy. 😀

7. gahlearner says:

Two people meandering through Medville murdering people in delightful ways, what fun. I especially like the switch from tragedy to deliciously smelling baguette.

A little murder on Thursday, always nice 😉

9. Iain Kelly says:

Excellent sinister twist. Up until that point I was enjoying my happy stroll through the village!

10. That was an unexpected end!

11. Al says:

Haha I love it. Brilliant. I can see C.E> getting his inspiration like this. Well done Em.

12. oglach says:

Impressive that you able to weave the sound of the sirens and the closing of doors in with the easy pleasures of the morning without alarming the reader. (Or at least this one, anyway). And then the trap snaps shut. All in one hundred words. I enjoyed your story very much.

Glad you enjoyed it oglach. I learned a lot from the pack of writers on Friday Fictioneers . Ceayr is the master of the ‘drop dead’ last line that blows you out of the water!
      I usually have over 200 wds when I draft a tale; then it is slash, cut and whittle! A challenge for a long-winded scribbler. 😉

13. ceayr says:

Hey, I did kill someone this week after all!
    Great story, Em, your poet’s soul shines through, even as you gurgle your last.
    But seriously, a beautifully written piece.